Friday, May 16, 2008

First Dance...


Tonight is the end of the year 5th and 6th grade student council dance... That means the first dance for my Austin. Seems like only yesterday, I was dropping Ethan off for the same occasion. I must admit... I shed a tear or two on the way home.

Austin is a pretty laid back kid. Hasn't talked about it much and doesn't have a "date" (thank the lord). I am sure he will have a great time with his buddies, eat a lot of snacks, and come home sweaty and wore out, just like Ethan did.

This is the beginning of a whole new set of "firsts" for Austin. Thankfully, I have been, or am currently going through, the same things with Ethan. That makes it a little easier. Still, these are my babies, and with every passing "first", they need me a little less. Scary.

My boys are growing up way to fast. I am trying really hard to savor these moments. Tonight, as I watch him walk away from me for his first dance in the multipurpose room,... try as I might... I am sure I won't be able to help but think about the fact that one day... I will be watching him walk away from me once again.... to his "first dance"... in a reception hall.

2 comments:

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

Long time listener, first time caller.... Ok, I am already dreading the "empty nest syndrome" that will happen in 5 short years!! That brought it much closer to realization!! WOW!!