Sunday, May 18, 2008

Battle of Wills...



Isn't she sweet... Isn't she precious... Oh look, how cute... Boy does she have you fooled!

My Ava is the most strong willed child I have ever know. It is her way or the highway. I have not raised her any differently than my three boys, but she is a different breed. She is a girl!

Today we butted heads for 45 minutes... FORTY FIVE MINUTES! She demanded pop. I said "say please" she said "uh.. no" I said "say please Ava".. she said "NO" I said "you have to ask nicely Ava and say please" she screamed with arms crossed "NO!" This went on and on... I went to the bedroom, she followed me screaming. I went to the kitchen she followed me screaming... I went outside, she followed me screaming! I told her calmly she could have the juice that was in her sippy, but no pop until she said please. This only ticked her off more. She threw herself to the ground kicking and screaming until she could hardly catch her breath.

By this point it had become a battle of wills. I knew I could not back down from her and give in or she would have won the battle and the next time, she would expect to have her way. All three boys tried to reason with her to no avail. I have never in my life seen a child as stubborn as her.

Finally, over an hour later, she came in from outside in a better mood and said "pop mommy please." (deep sigh) I won this battle... but it will take years before we see who will win the war.

No comments: