Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Facebook... It's not just for kids anymore...

Ok... so I must admit... until a few days ago I basically knew nothing about facebook. I have never let my kids on it... probably because I have heard horror stories on Dateline about the cyber-bullies and obscene pictures, etc... I am the quintessential "over-protective" mother. And I am fine with that!

So, imagine my surprise, when my brother (the older one) told me he had become a member and that I needed to go check out his profile. I went to facebook.com with the intention of ONLY looking him up and then being done with it.

I was very ticked to see that you have to login yourself to be able to see anyone...then I was really irritated to find out you have to set up your own profile and then "invite" people to be your "friend." Only if they accept your "friendship" can you view their profile. Good grief.

So, I reluctantly set up my profile and invited Kent to be my "friend." While I am impatiently waiting for him to honor my request, I start to look around for people I know. I started doing searches for various graduating classes from my high school. It was a total crack-up. I was Amazed at all the people on there from the past. I was more amazed to see what they look like now after 20 some years. Some had literally not changed a bit... some looked better actually... and others, well, time had not been so kind. I found one of my very first best friends and had a great conversation with her...I saw former "scrawny nerds" who are now buff ... I even saw a guy I would have bet the farm that he was a little "fancy" in high school who now is married with SIX kids. Go figure.

Overall, I give the whole facebook experience a thumbs up. I like the fact that not just anyone can see your info. If some mean girl from high school or other undesirable person from your past ask to be your friend you simply ignore their request. Sweet justice perhaps?

So now that I know what its all about, my kids are allowed on and we are having a ball with it. If you haven't already, you should check it out. You just never know who might ask to be your friend.

2 comments:

Christy said...

You're an addict!!

Andrea said...

Am NOT! You must be refering to your sister :)