Thursday, February 26, 2009

Moments to remember...

One of the many great things about having a blog is that it gives you the opportunity to write about things you want to make sure and remember. Little things that ordinarily you would say to yourself "I've got to make sure I remember this" but then inevitably a few months down the road, it escapes you.

Last night I am sitting in the floor of the living room watching American Idol and folding laundry. My little Ava (who will be 3 next month) comes up and plops down beside me and says "I want to fold the wash-a-rags" (cute how she always calls them that) This isn't the first time she has folded the "wash-a-rags" or attempted to at least. I always give them to her and she makes an attempt, then when she takes off to play, I refold them and put them away.

Last night, I watched her out of the corner of my eye and noticed her frustration. So I stopped her, picked up my own wash-a-rag and laid it out on the floor beside her. I told her to lay hers out also, and do as I do. "Fold the bottom all the way up to the top...then fold the side all the way over to the other side..." She listened and watched intently and then folded hers exactly the same. She was sooo pleased with herself.

So I hand her about six of them to fold and she is working very diligently, and perfectly I might add, when she says to herself, without looking up from her work... "you're a great mother"... SHOCKED I said to her "what did you just say" thinking I must have caught it wrong... she looked up at me grinning her little sheepish grin and says "I said I love you mom" to which I laughingly replied "no you didn't...what did you say" She looked back down at her half folded wash-a-rag and said again very quietly as she started to fold "you're a great mother"

I sat there in awe, looking at this tiny little creation, amazed at the depth of her thought process, wondering what in the world I did to deserve such an amazing comment from such an amazing little girl. It was a very convicting moment for me. I am always so incredibly busy with the business, and the house, and the laundry, and the cooking, etc... that I rarely get to give 100% of my attention to one child at one given moment. This was a moment just for her and she was relishing it out loud. It was a moment for me... that I will cherish forever. And that my friends... is what it's all about.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!!! I miss those moments with Kailye....we don't have as many anymore. I don't know anything, if you ask her:)

Andrea said...

Believe me I know how that is too... I know you miss those moments, but I betcha one day, you will be having them all over again with a new "Divine" little creation. :)

Misty McKibben-Melvin said...

Awwww.....I love these moments when they are little...somehow Madisyn just grew right before my very own eyes...and Lyza seems to pick up something new every single day...she sure does keep us entertained. Comments like that just seem to keep us going and makes a hectic day so totally worth it!!

Patti said...

How adorable.... enjoy every minute!
Nothing like the love of a child.

Christy said...

You ARE a great mother!!

Susan Warren said...

How sweet. Ava is such a beautiful little girl!

Tami said...

I love those kids! You are a GREAT mother and wife. How do you keep it all together and still look beautiful and young!!! God has been good to you and your family. Love and miss you all.

Maria said...

That is just beautiful and you are so right my friend, it is times when you least expect it that make your heart melt but at the same time make you so proud to be a mother and role model for your daughter. I cherish those special connecting times with my two girls.

Anonymous said...

I can see her, I can hear her, she is too precious and precocious at the same time. That makes me want to rush down there and scoop her up and squeeze her to pieces!!
I have told you what a great mom you are for, let me see, 14 years!! But, do take more minutes out of your busy day and give them eye contact and hug contact. I love you all!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! Your kids are beautiful