Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Call to Discipleship...

Last night was my Emmaus reunion group meeting...(the Ya Ya's, as we affectionately call ourselves) We just ended our 3:16 bible study, so last night we went over our "service sheet." One of the questions each one of us had to answer was, when did we feel God's call to be a disciple over the last week.

This was an easy one for me... cause yesterday the call came very specfically... at 9:35 to be exact when my phone rang. I answered and a deep voice said "Mrs. Jones?"..."yes" I reply......... "This is Moses"

I had to snicker for a moment...after all that is not something you hear every day. Moses turned out to be my dish network man. He was looking for directions to my house. But the story does not end there.

Moses proceeded to check my dish and replace a part he thought may be causing the problem. He came inside for me to sign his "service sheet" and when he did, he began to talk. He talked and he talked and he talked for a long, long time. He told me about how he was tired of being a dish man. How there must be more out there for him. How he had just lost out on a job opportunity that he was sure was the perfect job for him. And on and on.

I stood there listening and it became clear that this poor guy was not only looking for directions to my house... he was really looking for direction in his life. So when he paused for air, I jumped in and said "you know, Moses (snickering silently)you really need to pray for God's will in your life" He looked at me kind of stunned and didn't say anything for a moment or two. Then he proceeded to wrap up the conversation and go on his way.

I don't know if my words had any impact on him or made him stop and think, but I felt called to say it and I did. Planted a seed perhaps, you never know. I guess the moral of this story is if you feel called to be a disciple to someone, by all means, step out of your comfort zone and do so... cause you never know when Moses may come calling :)

4 comments:

Christy said...

I tell you what that was the funniest thing told last night!! Maybe today Elijah will come calling..... =) Wasn't last night GREAT?!?! God showed up!

Susan said...

Yess!! I am so glad you shared this story...but it was really so much better to hear you tell it in person! So hilarious. How could you poss ask if I'm coming back next week???:)

Andrea said...

Sooo very blogworthy!! And yes, Christy HE was SO there. And fyi Susan... I was just playin :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent! The Holy Spirit was filling you way up! Good for you sweetheart.