Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The best advice...




Teenage years bite. They really do. So does middle age.... but I digress.

Parenting two teenage boys can be trying at times. I'm sure not as trying as parenting even one teenage girl, but still a struggle on occasion. I'm so thankful not to have any huge issues with either one of my boys. They are just trying to figure out who they are, where they are going, and where their place is in this world. (I don't have the heart to tell them they will still be trying to figure that one out when they are 40:)

They are going to struggle, make mistakes, get their hearts broken, fail to fit in at times and so on. My job is just to be there to guide them on their journey, guard and protect them from what I can, and pick up the pieces when I can't.

A dear friend gave me a cd recently and the song "The Words I Would Say" by the Sidewalk Prophets was on it. (It is on my playlist if you want to hear it). I loved it immediately. Exactly what I would want to say to my boys. I have written the chorus and posted it on my boys mirror to remind them everyday...

Be strong in the Lord and
never give up hope
You're gonna do great things
I already know.
God's got his hand on you so
don't live life in fear
Forgive and forget
but don't forget why your here.
Take your time and pray
Thank God for each day
His love will find a way.
These are the words I would say...

Great advice for even us middle-agers... don't ya think